Five year road improvement plan to tackle traffic from 8000 houses
Cllr Dale Heenan, “The Conservative Council has secured £42m of Government money, and millions from housing developers, to ensure Swindon has the necessary infrastructure to cope with traffic and work as part of a five year road improvement plan. Work on the first project, Greenbridge roundabout, starts next month because the extra traffic is expected to gridlock the junction without these changes.
There will be disruption for local residents in the coming years but I agree with them that this work needs to happen up front. We must learn the lessons from 30 years ago when North Swindon was proposed.
Other projects include a new north/south link road from A420 to Commonhead which Cllr Richard Hurley and I campaigned for, forced a full council debate on the road and secured the support of every Conservative and LibDem Council to make this road happen. It is a shame that Labour Councillors refused to vote for this link road to happen.
However, I am amazed that Labour have put in writing their wish to see the future bridge from Covingham Drive/Merlin Way to the Eastern Villages opened up to all cars and lorries which will cause a traffic nightmare for the area. I believe a pedestrian and public transport only bridge is the right thing to happen”
- April 2016, Greenbridge roundabout
- June 2016, Improvements at Gablecross
- August 2017, A420 junction improvements
- January 2019, White hart roundabout improvements
- October 2019, Work starts on a new £6m north/south road to take traffic from the new Eastern Villages to Commonhead and the A420!
- August 2020, Improvements to Oxford road
- January 2021, A pedestrian and bus only bridge from Covingham Drive to Eastern Villages.