Council lobbied for a six month delay for Coleview bus
Cllr Dale Heenan, “Cllr Richard Hurley and I submitted a Council motion on the 1st January to demand a six month delay in the Coleview 23 bus changes. The motion has been accepted and will be debated on Thursday 12th January.
No consultation took place with passengers or ward councillors on the bus changes by Thamesdown Transport. We have identified a range of options that might allow a service through Coleview to continue and they must be explored.
The recent award for Thamsdown Transport shows they are a good company, but to announce the cut three weeks before Christmas is shooting themselves in the foot. It is absolutely the wrong way to go about making service changes, and is a surefire way to lose people’s goodwill.
Elderly local residents have told me how they will struggle to reach their gp and to do their shopping by themselves. There must be a minimum of a six month delay.”
This Council notes that:
- Thamesdown Transport stopped the 23 Bus Service on Monday 8th January
- Thamesdown Transport carried out no consultation about the change with passengers or local ward councillors
- Thamesdown Transport waited until four weeks after the Traffic Commissioner was notified before publicly announcing the change.
- The change means that there is no longer a bus service running through ColeviewThis Council further notes that since the announced cut of the 23 Bus Service three weeks before Christmas, the ward Councillors for Coleview, Covingham and Nythe have contacted,
- Stagecoach, who are considering the potential for changes so they can provide a service through Coleview
- InSwindon, who have agreed to facilitate meetings with businesses such as Sainsburys to seek commercial support
- Thamesdown Transport, who will talk to Swindon Borough Council about ways to continue a future Coleview serviceThis Council requests that
- The Chief Executive and Leader of Swindon Borough Council ask Thamesdown Transport to immediately reinstate a bus service through Coleview for a minimum period of six months so that options for a continued service can be fully explored
- Officers actively work with Stagecoach, Thamesdown Transport, Ward Councillors and local residents so that a viable bus service through Coleview is maintained from June 2012