Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

East Swindon | November 24, 2017

Scroll to top


No Comments

13/06/08 – Community Mediation Service

Dale Heenan
  • On June 13, 2008

Cllr Glenn Smith

I have been contacted by the Wiltshire Family Mediation Service, a local charty, that provides a Community Mediation Service. This could be useful based some of the calls I’ve received recently from residents. I’ve provided some of the information here for reference and would suggest that anyone who might have a problem with a neighbour who would like to explore this option contact them.

01793 527285

Family Mediation (North Wiltshire)
34 Milton Road

What types of neighbour disputes do you deal with?

We deal with all the usual types of non-legal disputes and non-violent disputes that tend to cropup between neighbours such as:

  • noise
  • vehicle parking
  • children and young people’s behaviour
  • gardens/fences

or, if your neighbour has already complained to you about a problem, but you feel that the complaint is not fair.

What is mediation?

Mediation brings the people in the dispute to a meeting where they can discuss the issues, and explain to each other how the dispute is affecting them.

The aim of the meeting is to reach an agreement on how to resolve the dispute in a way that satisfies both parties.

The mediators setup and run the meeting and help the parties reach agreement.

In the vast majority of cases, mediation will resolve at least part, if not all, of the dispute and thereby ease the tension that previsouly existed between the two parties.

How does the mediation process work?

Trained mediators workin paris, and initially rhey visit each of the indicidual parties at the home to here the various points of view, and how the dispute is affecting those involved.

After, if both parties agree to it, the mediators will setup and arrange the first joint meeting, which is usually held at a neutral venue.

The mediators remain impartial throughout the process. Their role is to ensure that both parties have a ‘fair say’ and to help the parties listen to each other and talk to each other in a positive and constructive manner that will lead to agreements.

When should I seek mediation?

If you haven’t been able to sort out the problem by speaking to your neighbour at the start of the disputes.


You would like to attempt a non-legal and peaceful solution to the dispute, thereby easing the tension that exists with your neighbour.

rather than

Contacting the police, legal adviser, housing department, housing association or the local authority.

We reduce or remove the emotional conflict.

Submit a Comment